Who represents your DUI case is the difference between a case that is considered successful versus one that is not. Keep in mind, a successful case is dependent on all the factors specific to your DUI event. Success may mean an acquittal for one person while, for another person, it may mean a plea deal that benefits the DUI offender.
The bottom line is this: without smart representation, you may be looking at a hard and confusing road ahead of you. Some of you may qualify for a public defender, depending on your financial situation. Most of you, however, will not qualify. Even if you do qualify, it may not be your best option if your goal is getting the best outcome for your case. Public defenders are overworked and may not have adequate time to thoroughly investigate and develop an aggressive strategy for your DUI case.
When you don’t qualify for a public defender (or don’t want to use a public defender), you are left to find your own lawyer. There are a few things you should consider when looking for the right private DUI attorney. You want a DUI defense lawyer who has:
- a well-established relationship/network in the respective jurisdiction of your DUI;
- significant years of DUI caseload and positive outcomes for most of those cases;
- solid references by former clients and peers; and
- good ethical standing without any history of disciplinary actions.
To find the right DUI lawyer with the above qualifications, there’s a lot of research to do. Asking the right questions will be critical.
Top Questions to Help Vet Your DUI Attorney
When you meet with a DUI lawyer about your case, your first meeting will likely be a consultation so that the two of you can get to know each other. Whether the DUI charge is your first time or your third one, you may still not know where to start. The below questions will help you assess a lawyer’s DUI experience and help you determine whether they are suited for your specific needs.
- How many years have you been practicing as a DUI defense lawyer?
- What’s your annual volume/caseload of DUIs?
- How many DUIs do you handle in the jurisdiction of my arrest, annually?
- What type of relationships do you have with the courts, judges, and district attorney in the jurisdiction of my arrest? Explain.
- What do you like best about being a DUI defense lawyer?
- How will you communicate with me and keep me up to date on the status of my case?
- Will you provide honest counsel and act in my best interest in terms of what course of action you recommend for my case?
- How does your pricing/fee schedule work?
- Walk me through what I can expect in terms of immediate next steps, timeline, how a typical DUI case (similar to my own offense) may play out.
- Do you help with other requirements not associated with my criminal case but associated with the DUI (i.e., MVD hearing, SOS requirements, or sentencing requirements involving 3rd party DUI vendors)? Can you recommend reputable providers with deals/specials?
What is the First Step to Find the Right DUI Defense Lawyer?
Even after you know what to look for and the questions to ask, the initial process to find a lawyer can be exhausting and overwhelming. For starters, there are a lot of lawyers out there. It can be hard to pick the best out of the bunch. But also, when charged with a DUI, it’s not just your criminal case you have to consider. You have other matters associated with the DUI that will impact your life, like:
- the administrative hearing;
- the loss of your license;
- reinstatement of your license;
- SR22 insurance;
- the possible need for substance abuse treatment; and
- many other issues.
If you don’t know about these things, then you are less likely to ask a potential attorney about them. As a result, it can make your life harder: many attorneys do not help DUI clients with these related matters. You must comply with deadlines and strict rules or risk getting your life back together in a timely manner.
We want to make your life easier. So, the first step you should take to find the right DUI defense lawyer is this: contact Restorify by DUI.org. The DUI defense attorneys in the Restorify Attorney Network have already been vetted for you. Restorify by DUI.org partners with a network of DUI attorneys who have good working relationships within their jurisdiction, extensive DUI experience proven via impressive track records, solid referrals and reviews, and no disciplinary actions.
We’ve already done the research and the questioning. Thus, if you’re seeking skilled DUI representation, Restorify by DUI.org will help you find the right DUI lawyer in your area, plus much more.
Hire the Right DUI Defense Lawyer
Contact Restorify by DUI.org to obtain more information on DUIs and to learn how to get all the possible advantages a skilled DUI defense lawyer can offer.